I hate it when people ask me what I would do if I won the lottery… you know the BIG lottery — the hundred bazillion dollar lottery. I always think if I don’t answer with at least some semblance of humbleness then I look like an ass. So, I always include the “give to this charity and that charity”, “take care of the people I love”, “put the majority in a trust for my kids”. But, with the fast approach of my birthday, I’ve been thinking about what I would want if I won the birthday lottery.
I’ve never been too keen on celebrating my birthday — I get a card from time to time, I take my kids out to dinner to my … wait, their favorite restaurant… nothing too celebratory. But for some reason, this approaching birthday has me feeling particularly good about my life and the (sometimes difficult) choices I’ve made. So I sat down and made a list, a “what I would want if I won the b-birthday lottery”. Here’s a few of the one’s I’ll share with you:
- To have lunch… (wait), dinner… (not quite), breakfast… (ahh yes), with Andy Garcia.
- To have all of the light bulbs in my house working at the same time.
- To go on a trip somewhere I’ve never been.
- To have a day when I don’t have to check my bank account before I make a purchase.
- To have guarantees in friendship, in life… just for one day.
- To walk on a beach… at dusk… with friends… in a sweater.
- To win a tennis tournament… again.
- To sit in a living room and talk all night (there should be wine).
- To camp and float a river in Montana.
- To know we’re friends… always… through laughs and tears and anger and pain and good times… always.
- To have meaningful words decorating my wall.
- To have a black bean burrito.
- To learn how to make sushi.
- To share sushi (at midnight) with Andy Garcia.
- To laugh with friends far and near who have stolen my heart and filled my soul.
That’s my list, at least the one’s I’ll show you. There are some more that possibly involve Andy Garcia but… I think this list should suffice just fine. What about you? What would you want if you won the birthday lottery?
Image from Kind Over Matter